Vilcabamba 9 Days
The Vilcabamba Trek takes you right off the beaten path to the area of Cusco where the Incas made their last stand. Following the Spanish conquest the Inca withdrew far in to the jungle from where they continued to resist the occupation. Vilcabamba was the last Inca city and this trek takes you to some of the last domains of this once great empire. With beautiful scenery, Inca sites and a wide variety of flora and fauna the Vilcabamba Trek is a great option.
- Things to bring
Vilcabamba 9 Days
Day 1: CUSCO - CHAULLAY - WANKAKALLI
We will pick you up from your hotel and travel to Wankakalli by private bus, passing through Ollantaytambo and the Malaga mountain pass (4,200 meters/13,780 feet above sea level) and then entering the Huyro and Maranura valleys. After passing through Chaullay, we will arrive at Wankakalli in the afternoon and make camp for the night. L/D
Day 2: WANKAKALLI - VITCUS - ÑUSTAHISP´ANA - QOLLPAQ'ASA
On Day 2, we will begin our journey, trekking inka trail to the archaeological center of Rosaspata / Vitcos. From Wankakalli, we will have an excellent view of the snow-covered peaks of Pumasillo, and as we trek around the perimeter ofWankakalli, we will visit the Ñusta Hisp'anan stone. In both places we will enjoy an awesome panoramic view of the countryside. Later, we will move on to the Qollpaq'asa campsite. B/L/D
Day 3: QOLLPAQ'ASA - UTUTO
On Day 3, we will hike to the small village of Maukachaka and continue on to the pass of Pampaconas. We will then hike down into Ututo, where we will camp for the night and also have the opportunity to do a little fishing. B/L/D
Day 4: UTUTO - VISTA ALEGRE
We will have a downhill hike on Day 4, and after only an hour we will begin to see the changes as the climate turns warmer and we move into Peru's cloud forest. Here, we can enjoy the Pampaconas River as we eat lunch on the riverbank. After a brief rest, we will continue hiking until we arrive at Vista Alegre (Happy View) where we will make camp. B/L/D
Day 5: VISTA ALEGRE - CONCEVIDAYOC
After breakfast we will hike into the Vilcabamba Valley, where will enjoy the increasingly tropical weather. We willarrive at Q'asa Cross, a favorite place of adventure and nature lovers, where we will see the region's abundance of flora and fauna - for example the Rupicola Peruviana (Cock-of-the-Rock). We will hike onward to Tunkimayu and then Concebidayoc, where we will make camp for the night. B/L/D
Day 6: CONCEBIDAYOC - ESPIRITU PAMPA - CHONTABAMBA
We will hike to the east, toward the Pampaconas River and on to Espiritu Pampa. The topography is amazing here, and it is the perfect vantage point to see how the plateau is formed between the Pampaconas River, Chomtabamba, and the base of the mountain. Here, we will visit the Espiritu Pampa archaeological group, including a number of Incan agricultural terraces, as well as the famous Rumichaca Bridge - an ancient stone bridge. After a guided visit, we will continue to the Chotabamba campsite. B/L/D
Day 7: CHONTABAMBA - CHIWANKIRI
We will be our last day of trekking. The climate will be beautiful - tropical and warm. Here, in the valley of Espiritu Pampas, we will enjoy the various spectacles of flora and fauna and make camp at Chiwankiri for the night. B/L/D
Day 8: CHIWANKIRI - KITENI – AGUAS CALIENTES
Our journey on the last day of the trek is by private bus through the city of Kiteni, back through the hidrolelectrica them take the train to Machupicchu town. Overnight in Aguas Calientes.
Day 9: MACHUPICCHU CUSCO
We will take the early bus up to the stunning archeological complex of Machu Picchu. The bus ride lasts about 15 minutes. During the Machu Picchu tour, our guide is going to explain the meanings, importance and story of Machupicchu while we walk around the city and visit the most important places of Machupicchu for around 2 hours. we will be able to see the Sacred Temples (Sun Temple, Condor Temple) agricultural terraces, sacred rocks, water fountains, the famous Intihuatana and other important Inca buildings. In the afternoon we will meet in the town of Aguas Calientes where, if you like, you can visit and relax in the thermal baths. Later, we will take the train to Cusco, where we will arrive late at night. Transfer you to your hotel. 10:00 p.m. B/L
All departure and arrival times are approximate.
- Pick-up from your hotel
- Transportation by car from Cusco to Wankakalli village.
- A local experienced English - Spanish tour guide.
- Entrance fees to tourist sites.
- Return train ticket on the last day from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo.
- Collection from train station (Ollantaytambo) and transfer to Cusco city.
- Drop-off at your hotel
- Round trip Bus ticket (Aguas Calientes - Machu Picchu Sanctuary - Aguas Calientes).
- Entrance ticket to Machu Picchu Sanctuary
- Hot water every morning and evening after the trek for washing purposes + filtered and boiled water to fill up your water bottle every morning, night, and at lunch time if requested.
- Professional chef, Chefs helper, cooking equipment ( surgical steel )
- Horses to carry the camping equipment.
- Two hours Machu Picchu guided tour.
- Assistant Tour Guide (for groups of 9 or more people).
- All meals included (breakfast, lunch, snacks and dinner)
- 01 night of Hotel accommodation in Aguas Calientes town.
- Camping gear: Double waterproof tents ( 4 person capacity tent, to allow for higher comfort and keeping the backpacks ) + dining tent with tables and chairs + kitchen tent + toilet tent + tent for our guides, and staff.
- 24 hours emergency oxygen assistance.
- First aid kid.
- Bio-degradable personal hand soaps and detergents.
What is not included
- Tips or gratuities for guides, drivers, cooks, porters, etc.
- Entrance to the thermal springs in Aguas Calientes
- Breakfast (first day) and the last lunch( last day).
- Sleeping bag and walking sticks
Prices in U.S. dollars are based on per person, departures are guaranteed.
- EARLY BIRD SAVING: 90 days prior to the trip: 10% off.
NOTE: INCA PLANET TRAVEL GUIDE reserves the right to make the final decision regarding amount of discount. Also we offer special discounts for groups.
Extensions and additional services
- Upgrade to Vistadome train (one way): $65.00 per person
- Huaynapicchu mountain ticket: $20.00 per person
- Machupicchu mountain ticket: $20.00 per person
- Sleeping Bag (long trek): $65.00 per person
- Walking Pole: $20.00 per person
- Single Tent Supplement (long trek): $80.00 per person
- Inflatable Mattress(long trek): $45.00 per person
- Extra horse to carry extra 15kg of personal items (long trek):$120.00
Things to bring
- Hat or cap to protect from the sun.
- Sun cream (factor 35 recommended), lip salve, sun glasses.
- Money belt + emergency money
- Water bottle (mineral water can be bought throughout Peru)
- Camera + Batteries (Batteries can easily be bought in Peru and is of excellent quality).
- Waterproof jacket/rain poncho
- Original passport.
- Swimsuit (if you plan on visiting the hot springs.
- Toiletries, towel and toilet paper
- Insect repellent
- Comfortable walking boots with good ankle support.
- Sleeping bag.
- Backpack (65 litres should be quite sufficient).
- Clothes: long trousers (lightweight), T-shirts, short-sleeved shirt, long-sleeved shirt, pair shorts, Underwear and socks (thermal underwear is highly recommended, being light, warm and makes good nightwear on cold nights), Fleece jacket.