Machu picchu by car 2 days
This tour is recommended only for hardy travelers who are on a budget. This tour requires about 8 hours of car travel on unpaved roads to get to Machu Picchu each way as well as a 3 hour hike each way.
From US$ 230
- Things to bring
Machu picchu by car 2 days
Day 1: Cusco - Machu picchu town (L) (D)
At 7:00 AM: Pick up from the hotel to start our journey to Machu Picchu by car. We will visit Ollantaytambo village, then we will ascend toward Abra de Malaga pass over 4350 m.a.s.l. from this point we will descends toward the Convention valley. In this journey we will appreciate the flora variety, fauna, cascades of water and a colorful landscapes. We will continue along our route until we have reached Alfamayo, where there is a nice, paved road in perfect condition that we can use. We will need to take an unpaved road though, in order to continue on in the direction of Santa Maria, which is located at an altitude of 1575 meters above sea level. We will take a moment to rest here before continuing on to the small pueblo, Santa Teresa, where a delicious lunch will be awaiting us at approximately 2 pm. There will be a variety of different foods available to suit every taste.
After Having lunch we will keep going to Hydroeletric Power Station where we walk 2 and half hours by walking talking the railway to get aguas calientes where we spend the first night and then free time to enjoy the hot springs.
Overnight: Hotel in Aguas Calientes town (private bathroom, hot water, storage).
Day 2: Wonderful Machu picchu - Cusco (B)
Breakfast will be served from 5:00 am. Then you will take the bus to visit the Machu Picchu Sanctuary.
The exciting exploration begins with a visit to the world famous Machupicchu Sacred Temples (Sun Temple, Condor Temple) agricultural terraces, sacred rocks, water fountains, the famous Intihuatana and other important Inca buildings. During the tour, our guide will explain the meanings , importance and story of Machupicchu while we walk around the Machu picchu city for around 2 hours. After your tour you'll have free time to explore the site by yourself.
Later at 11:30 am you will take the bus back down to Aguas Calientes where you will meet again to take the train back to Hidroelectric plant (train leaves at 12:35pm). After that, we will take a private van, which will take us to Santa Teresa. After having lunch we will return to Cusco following the same road. We will arrive Cusco at around 10 pm aprox.
All departure and arrival times are approximate.
Breakfast (B), Lunch (L), Dinner (D)
- Altitude at Machu Picchu - 2400m / 7873ft.
- Machupicchu Weather: dry from May to October, wet from November to April.
- Baggage: 1 small bag of hand luggage (5 kg/11 lb max) is allowed on the train.
What is not included
Prices in U.S. dollars are based on per person, departures are guaranteed.
All hotels included in our programs are three stars (Tourist class). Rooms are equipped with cable TV, hote water 24 hours, and bathrooms with free toiletries. Free wifi. Some rooms have air conditioning. Featuring a restaurant and a coffee shop.
- Machu Picchu Student Discount, $ 20.00 per person (Requires ISIC Card to qualify, you will need to e-mail us a copy of your ISIC)
- Machu Picchu Children, $ 20.00 per person (Passengers under 18 years old receive the same discount as a student. If you are claiming a child discount you must send us a scanned copy of your child's passport by email).
- Machu Picchu Andean Community: Peru, Colombia, Bolivia and Ecuador : $ 20.00 per person.
NOTE: INCA PLANET TRAVEL GUIDE reserves the right to make the final decision regarding amount of discount. Also we offer special discounts for groups.
Extensions and additional services
- Private tour guide (english) to visit Machu Picchu: $80.00 per group
- Huaynapicchu mountain ticket: $20.00 per person
- Machupicchu mountain ticket: $20.00 per person
Things to bring
Machu picchu - Peru
Machupicchu - Cusco Peru